1. Take care of what enters the tank. One means of extending the life of your septic tank is to be aware of the things that you put in it. Make certain that you don’t put any cooking oil, coffee grounds, diapers, cigarette ends, fats, napkins, wet tissues and other non-biodegradable substances in the septic tank. These non-biodegradable substances have the ability to clog the septic tank requiring you to have a costly repair job.
2. Preserve the drain field. The drain field is actually the main piece of your septic tank which assists in separation the solid wastes from the liquid wastes. Here are a number of tips that can assist you to preserve your drain field for so long. Be certain not to park your car close to the drain field. Be certain that the trees are planted at a safe distance from the drain field in order to keep the roots from growing in the drain field or close to it. In addition, the rainwater drainage systems such as gutters and sump pumps be kept away from the drain field.
3. Examine the septic tank from time to time. In order to prolong the normal functioning of a septic tank, it is vital that you have a periodic inspection as well as proper upkeep of the septic tank by a profession.
4. Avail pumping services. It is important that you pumped out your septic tank at least twice a year so as to ensure that all solid wastes are properly broken down. Pumping the septic tank on a regular basis will not only improve its life, but will also prevent future system failure.
5. Set the usage of household chemicals. Keep in mind that too much use of household chemicals such as drain cleaner, bleach and detergent to mention a few can lead the septic tank to malfunction. These household chemicals have the capability to prevent the bacteria inside the tank to breakdown the waste in it.
6. Ask assistance from the experts. With regards to regular cleaning and maintenance of the septic tank, it is crucial that you rely on the assistance of the professionals. The septic tank service provider will go to your house and systematically evaluate your septic tank for presence of damages as well as leakages. They will examine the scum and the sludge layers so as to find out what is the source of the problem. And even if you discover just a very small problem with your septic tank, it is highly advsable to be be sure to always call an expert for help.